Royal Caribbean Cruises has another feather in their cap – MS Harmony of the Seas, she is the largest ever cruise/passenger ship in the world. Oasis-class cruise ship is built by STX France at the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France. With a gross tonnage of 227,700 GT, she is heavier by more than 2000 tons than her sisters MS Oasis of the Seas and MS Allure of the Seas, which are also Oasis-class ships. The ship is 1188 feet (362.12 meters) long and the beam is 217 feet (47.42 meters). She has the capacity to carry a maximum of 6360 passengers and has 2747 stateroom over 16 decks. 2100 crew members will be on board to take care of the guests and the ship.
“It’s not only the biggest cruise ship in the world, but it’s also the most expensive ever built,” claimed Richard Fain, but the head of RCCL also claimed during the handover ceremony of her. “She was also built in a record time of just 40 months, an achievement by 2,500 workers at STX France has put in around 10 million work-hours to complete the enormous vessel”, says Laurent Castaing, head of STX France.
Due to the advanced technology of “pumping air into the hull” to reduce the load, it will emit 20% less CO2 than its sister ships, though heavier than them. She is already docked at Southampton in southern England. From there on she will be on the official maiden voyage on 22nd May to her new homeport of Barcelona. The ship will start a regular cruise from October 2016.
She has all the features of her sisters in Oasis-class and has few unique and very interesting entertainment features like The Ultimate Abyss, the tallest slide at sea, plunges 10 stories into the mysteries of the deep
- The Ultimate Abyss, the tallest slide at sea, plunge 10 stories into the mysteries of the deep
- Classic carnival games at the new Boardwalk Arcade with hand-carved carousel on the Boardwalk
- Two FlowRider® surf simulators
- Two rock-climbing walls, each 43 feet high
- Full-sized basketball court
- Ice-skating rink
- Three multi-story waterslide
- Summer lovin’ is in the air on Harmony of the Seas, with Broadway’s hit Grease, The Musical coming to the high seas for the first time.
- Central Park® outdoor garden with galleries. Has a variety of name-brand, duty-free shopping and the Royal Promenade including an art gallery, and kids’ shops, etc.
- VOOM – the fastest Internet at sea.
- Royal Babies & Tots Nursery
- Royal Babies® and Royal Tots® program
- Passengers of the Harmony of the Seas will enjoy world-renowned GOLD Anchor Service and an expansive menu of delicious dinner options. My Time Dining program offers guests the flexibility to select their own seating time and table companions in the main dining room; or from an extensive variety of speciality restaurants.